Monday, August 31, 2015

Changing Seasons

Recently I have been thinking about the changing of seasons. Probably because I live in Mississippi, and I think I'm ready for summer to change over to Fall! But I think God prompted me to think about seasons of life the other day. My family seems to be very busy all of the time, but who isn't with 2 active boys. However, we go through different seasons, some of which are very intense. Summers are insanely busy for me, so I am coming out of that season and moving into the next season. Although still busy, it is a different kind of busy.

Anyway, I found myself reflecting on the summer season and realized that several areas of my life didn't receive my undivided attention this summer. My marriage, my kids, my health, our ministry to married couples, and even my relationship with God were often receiving my leftovers throughout the summer. Crazy thing is that when I talked to God about it just after the season, I peacefully heard Him tell me that he understood seasons. Let me be clear, I know there are areas to improve on and ways that I can handle things better next summer, but God understands seasons. God understands my seasons. After all, he created the changing seasons.

If you are anything like us, your marriage probably goes through seasons as well. Last week was the 4 year anniversary of our marriage crisis. Needless to say, that was certainly a different season of our marriage. A season that probably changed all of our seasons from that point forward. But that's ok. Changing seasons in marriage offer an opportunity for reflection, growth, learning, and dependence on God. The real question is, how do you respond to the changing seasons of your marriage, and the seasons of your life?

In closing, I want to share a quote I heard recently. The quote indirectly references couples affected by infidelity, but I think it relates to seasons, and particularly those of us that have gone through some pretty drastic changing seasons within our marriages:

"Today, most people are going to have two or three marriages. And some of us are going to do it with the same person. Your first marriage is over. Do you want to create a second one together?"

Is it time for you to start a new season in your marriage? Let us know how we can help!

Rusty and Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment