Monday, November 9, 2015

My New Name

Every morning I go out and run with my dog, Rebel, at some local trails. The trails are deep into the woods, but I have to go through a city park to get there. Each morning as I drive through the park, I pass the same elderly couple. It is an African-American couple who appear to be in their late 60's or maybe even 70's. As Rebel and I pass by them each morning, I pause to wave as I try to keep my dog from sounding like he is going jump out of the window and attack them. Rebel is actually the sweetest and most gentle companion, but he enjoys barking at anything that moves. Actually, barking is not even a good word for it. He kinda sounds like a rabid attack dog. It is quite embarrassing sometimes.

After passing the sweet couple, I park my car and make my way into the woods to run the trails. I don't see them again and never get very close to them. I'm sure they would be terrified if Rebel made a run for them! However, today was a little unusual. I made my way into the trails and realized that it was entirely too wet to run. In addition, it appeared as though people we're gathering for a cross country meet. That is typically my cue to turn around and go back the way I came. So, I put Rebel on his leash and made it back into the park to run a little. That's when I noticed the elderly couple up ahead.

Normally I would turn and go a different direction but I sensed God prompting me to run towards them and speak to them. As I made my way closer to them, I noticed that they had stopped in their tracks and were just watching me as Rebel dragged me towards them on his leash. I could tell they were a bit uneasy. As I approached them, I stopped several yards away from them and began to engage them. I told them that my dog was actually the sweetest and nicest dog on the planet and would never harm anyone. I also told them I was sorry that he barked at them every morning as we drove by, but that they shouldn't be afraid of his noisemaking. They both smiled and acknowledged that they see me every morning, and that they enjoy smiling and waving to me regardless of the crazy dog in my backseat. Then came the part that led me to write this blog…

The elderly gentleman said that they have a name for me that they call me every morning and they don't even know me. I decided to make a small joke out of the comment and told them I hope it is a good name. The elderly lady chimed in and told me that they call me "Smiley." Of course I smiled, and turned to continue with my run. As I was running away from them, I stopped, turned back to them, and told them my name is "Rusty."

I couldn't stop thinking about my new name "Smiley" for the rest of my run. God began to encourage me to pose the question, "What do people call you?" People that know me, people that don't know me, my children, my spouse...what name do people call me? What name do people call you? Since this is a marriage blog, what does your husband or wife call you when you aren't around to hear it? I wonder if Heather would call me "Smiley"? Or something better? Or something worse?

"A good name is more desirable than great riches." Proverbs 22:1

I wish I would have run into this elderly couple again at the end of my run today. Ironically, I discovered that I smile at them each morning because they make me smile! I want to be that couple when Heather and I are old(er): taking slow walks together, talking, enjoying the sunrise, picking pecans. I have a couple of names for this couple as well. Faithful. Inspiring. So, they named me "Smiley" but, yet, they are my reason for smiling.

I almost wish they didn't know my real name now. Hopefully, they will just keep calling me "Smiley."

Rusty "Smiley" Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment