Friday, October 4, 2013

That's Not Natural

Do you remember that day in school when you had to get up and give your report right after the kid that knocked it out of the park? Or, you played the game of your life, and then realized you were going to be expected to repeat that performance in the next game? The pressure of following something successful is pretty intimidating.

Last week we posted a blog that turned out to be our most read post ever, and it caused record hits on our website for 2 days last week. I guess when you combine some thoughts about marriage and pets, it has the potential to stir up lots of emotions in people! So, writing this blog today kinda reminds me of that sinking feeling of having to "follow" something or somebody.

I actually started writing this a couple of days ago, and it just sat on my computer screen. I'm not sure if I was just scared to follow up the post from last week, or if I just couldn't decide what to write. Something happened this week that prompted me to finish the stalled project...

I think a lot about forgiveness. I have read so many books on the subject, and listened to my share of sermons. I have also studied what God's Word says about forgiveness, and have spent many hours talking to God about it. I have learned so much about forgiveness, and one day I will put all of my thoughts together and write about it. But, for the sake of this writing, let me just say that forgiveness is not natural. Think about it...there is not much about forgiveness that is natural.

Now, there are some circumstances and some relationships where forgiveness just makes sense, and even seems a little more natural. For example, think about your children. Forgiving your own children is pretty natural, and it just feels right. In most situations, forgiveness can be offered to your children pretty easily no matter what they have done. There is a picture of God's forgiveness of his children there. I know you can see it, so I won't spend any time there right now.

In the same way, there are some circumstances and some relationships where forgiveness is just really unnatural. While on the subject of your children, imagine someone hurting your child really bad (physically or emotionally). Forgiveness for that offender is a little tougher to swallow, isn't it?

Guess what? I have a mom and dad that love me very much. Two years ago, I got hurt about as bad as anyone can be hurt. Are you putting the pieces together of where I am going with this? Think about your child in this situation. How easy or natural would it be to offer forgiveness to the one who hurt your son or daughter?

I don't have time to go into all of the details, but my mom was Heather's kindergarten teacher. Heather and I started dating when I was in 10th grade and she was in 9th grade. We dated for 7 years before marrying just out of college. My parents and her parents are friends, and our dads even served together on a church staff for several years. Can you see how deep the pain must have been when my parents heard the news 2 years ago?

I could type until my fingers bleed from this point forward, but I'm going to try to put it all in a nutshell for you. Really the stage was set the day that I told my parents what had happened. My mom called me later that day and said that she had to see Heather, and asked if I would send her to their house. You might be thinking that I was out of my mind to let that happen, but I know my mom well, and she did not disappoint. She told Heather that she would never understand how she could hurt her "little boy" like this. Then, she hugged her and told her that she loved her and forgave her.

That's not natural.

The last two years, my mom and dad have been the perfect example of love, forgiveness, and redemption to both Heather and me. We have received no greater support and encouragement than from the two of them. I was reminded of this earlier this week...

Our family went over to my parents to eat dinner before our two boys had soccer practice a couple of nights ago. The boys and I left for the soccer fields, but Heather stayed behind to finish eating and hang out. I know what you're thinking. After what happened...

That's not natural.

But it is natural for them. It happens all of the time. When I got home that night, Heather sat down on the bed with tears in her eyes and told me about her time with my parents that evening. They asked her how she was doing (which, let's be honest, is pretty unnatural for anyone to ask her), and then spent an hour encouraging her and loving on her. She loves them so much. She still marvels at their love, grace, and forgiveness towards her.

That's not natural. But it is to mom and dad.

Rusty

No comments:

Post a Comment